From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: reopening gentoo-council
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:44:44
1 On 31.07.2011 19:51, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >
4 >> With a bit more than a week ahead of us for the next council meeting,
5 >> I'd like to start preparing the agenda, given that current practice
6 >> still is to send it out a week in advance.
7 >
8 >> [...]
9 >
10 >> Please add items to the agenda, and/or start discussions on this list so
11 >> we can prepare and see if it needs to be discussed (preferably just
12 >> voted on!) in the council meeting.
13 >
14 > Please add the following item to the agenda:
15 > Should gentoo-council be used as a dedicated mailing list for council
16 > related topics (i.e. such topics that are in -project currently)?
17 >
18 > Rationale see here:
19 > <http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-council/msg_6cad9409772fa44415e84005ff922145.xml>
20 >
21 > If accepted, this would revert the decision of the previous council in
22 > its 2010-08-09 meeting that -project and -council lists should be
23 > merged into one (which however has not been implemented; the -council
24 > list is still functional).
27 Some background information for why the decision was initially made is
28 available at:
29 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.council/787
30 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20100726.txt
31
32 Your rational is a bit off or can be understood incorrectly in how the
33 current rules go. Discussion should happen on the on topic mailing list
34 (most of the time gentoo-dev or gentoo-project). gentoo-project is only
35 used to submit threads to the agenda regardless of where the discussion
36 happens. gentoo-dev-announce can be used to draw attention to important
37 things. How do you propose people decide if something is gentoo-council
38 material or do we go back to the situation where threads get fragmented
39 to multiple mailing lists? If actual discussion happens elsewhere than
40 gentoo-council then I don't think we need a separate mailing list just
41 for handling agendas etc. Finally I think gentoo-project / gentoo-dev
42 reach a wider audencience but we should get verified numbers from infra.
43
44 Regards,
45 Petteri