From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 09:03:15
1 On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:45:40AM +0300, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
2 > Not sure if its for council.
3 I don't think it's suitable for council, but it does need more
4 discussion than it's been getting on the scm list.
5
6 > Define timeframe for cvs->git migration. Technical issues almount
7 > finished
8 > 1. Thin manifests already in portage
9 > 2. Git commit signing already there (if git-1.7.9 will be keyworded due
10 > to issue with svn 1.7 [git-svn functionality with SVN 1.7 if your
11 > SVN repo URL, branch name or tag names contains characters that need
12 > URL escaping])
13 Do you have a fix for the Git SVN 1.7 problem then?
14
15 Other items not included in the above, that we need some agreement on.
16 - Initial tree state:
17 Single commit, signed by me, with a graft of history available as a
18 separate download (it's ~1200MB) . This ensures that all of the
19 history is available AND that the usual downloads for developers are
20 very small.
21 Alternatively, how much history should we include in the base
22 download?
23 - Log generation
24 - Potentially dropping Changelogs in Git (generate
25 shortly during rsync tree generation?)
26 - Merge policies
27 This is the hardest political topic.
28 Do we force users to rebase before they push to the tree?
29 Before you say yes, of course, there is a catch:
30 If the user publishes their work in MORE than one place, and does push
31 to remote A/master, pull from remote B/master, rebase master on
32 B/master, push to remote B/master. Now what do they do about the state
33 of remote A? They _HAVE_ to either have a merge of A/master, or
34 destroy the history at A/master with a forced push.
37 Robin Hugh Johnson
38 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
39 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85