From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:58:55
1 On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:13:45 -0400
4 > Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> If the council decided to start holding meetings in private, denied
6 >> any forum for dissent, began booting people merely for disagreeing,
7 >> and began taking the distro in a direction most devs don't like then
8 >> I'd be all for having a gentoo insurrection.
9 >
10 > Oh, I do hope that was said with irony. Funnily enough, the Council
11 > holding meetings in private (ask them about their secret channel on
12 > oftc and their meetings with musikc),
13
14 I remember people getting confused and talking about how the council
15 wants to "Moving all gentoo channels to oftc" however, that was
16 clarified. "having a secret channel for meetings on oftc" seems to be
17 similar in confusion. Allow me to clarify this as well:
18
19 Your statement mixes two meanings of the word "meeting" which causes confusion:
20 a) Council meetings
21 b) A (random?) group of people
22
23 The former needs to be announced, and happen in public. The latter can
24 happen anywhere. Surely we can't say gentoo council members are
25 holding a "meeting" if they happen to meet at a FOSS conference
26 somewhere? ;)
27
28 Besides, as I understand it:
29
30 1) The channel was a public channel on oftc where (some of?) the
31 gentoo council members idled because one of the council members could
32 not come onto FreeNode due to personal reasons.
33 2) Council Meetings were held on #gentoo-council @ FreeNode, with a
34 proxy for said council member who could not connect to FreeNode.
35 3) Then the issue of "meetings with musikc" -- my vote goes for *not*
36 counting /query as a "meeting" ;)
37
38 > denying dissent and booting people
39 > arbitrarily is exactly what lead to them holding the second meeting
40 > that started this discussion.
41
42 I thought the reason for the meeting was an appeal for retirement done
43 by devrel? Sort of like going to a higher court for an appeal?
47 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
48 --
49 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list