From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-02-25
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:55:48
1 On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 22:43:41 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Tom Wijsman schrieb:
5 > >> Thanks, I would like to phrase the question a little more
6 > >> precisely:
7 > >>
8 > >> I would like to ask council to state whether the QA team has the
9 > >> authority to mandate a policy when there is neither general
10 > >> agreement that this policy is a good thing, nor the policy would
11 > >> avert any kind of immediate serious problem for users.
12 > > That can be reduced to the question whether QA is considered
13 > > serious.
14 >
15 > I don't think so. If the council answers this question in the
16 > negative, QA still has its emergency powers and can enforce the
17 > policy set by the council.
18 > QA can also propose any new policy they consider useful to the
19 > council, which can then hear the opposing sides and make a decision
20 > based on that.
21
22 You describe a Gentoo Developer, apart from the small difference that
23 they have this emergency power; when it comes to it, that power is
24 quite similar to having a Gentoo Developer revert according to policy
25 and that deemed as OK (under the assumption of there being no QA team).
26
27 > > (There is a majority that agrees as well as a serious problem to
28 > > users in the GTK+ USE flag situation; the former can be deduced
29 > > from the mailing list, the latter can be realized when controlling
30 > > the USE flag among a lot of GTK+ packages. It is something that can
31 > > be done later; on the other hand, if we categorize everything that
32 > > way it halts progress)
33 >
34 > The gtk flag naming problem is not serious in the sense that it will
35 > break user systems.
36
37 It depends on how you define the words; but I find it a serious issue
38 if you have an USE flag that works one way in a set of packages and
39 works the other way in another set of packages, it is broken in the
40 sense that the user now has to use package.use if he has a lot of
41 packages that have a gtk flag and needs that flag to behave.
42
43 > Additionally, it has been known and discussed for a long time.
44
45 If it comes up again and again on ML, upsets people in bugs, have people
46 bring it up independently to both QA and Council; it is of much more
47 concern than for example a thread about small bug wrangling details.
48
49 > Establishing a gtk USE flag policy did not become suddenly so urgent
50 > that next council meeting was too far in the future.
51
52 The discussions, pings and mails act as a nagging reminder.
53
54 > > The GLEP states that we can
55 > >
56 > > 1) maintain a list of current "QA Standards";
57 > >
58 > > 2) ensure all developer tools are in line with the current QA
59 > > standards;
60 > >
61 > > 3) and apply it as per "In the event that a developer still insists
62 > > that a package does not break QA standards, an appeal can be made
63 > > at the next council meeting. The package should be dealt with per
64 > > QA's request until such a time that a decision is made by the
65 > > council."
66 > >
67 > > which effectively makes the "QA Standards" act as policy.
68 >
69 > I don't think that it is necessarily the case. "QA standard" could
70 > also mean telling developers to either use gtk USE flags in the QA
71 > team recommended way, or ensuring through other means that users to
72 > not encounter unexpected breakage.
73
74 The GNOME team's internal policy was a recommendation; as can be seen
75 from the current state, that doesn't ensure anything. What other means
76 would ensure that users do not have to micro manage with package.use?
77
78 > Another possible interpretation is that QA standards codify
79 > established good practices which are largely non-controversial (it
80 > was attempted with saying that live ebuilds should be unkeyworded or
81 > p.mask'ed IIRC)..
82
83 It also depends on who discovers the new problems, who forms the
84 explanations, who decides how to fix the problem; ...
85
86 For that, you can look at mentions like "This is done primarily by
87 finding and pointing out issues to maintainers and, where necessary,
88 taking direct action.". But then you once again need to know whether
89 "issues" are meant as "policy violation", or as "breakage", I think we
90 can go on for a while here...
91
92 We need to remind ourselves that a GLEP is a "Gentoo Linux Enhancement
93 Proposals" and that it is nowhere a picture perfect policy; so, yes, I
94 hope the seriousness (and associated consequences) is clarified.
95
96 GLEP 48 addresses controversy with "In the event that a developer still
97 insists that a package does not break QA standards, an appeal can be
98 made at the next council meeting. The package should be dealt with per
99 QA's request until such a time that a decision is made by the council.".
100
101 > > As "QA Standards" under this interpretation are needed to raise
102 > > quality; the council should clarify whether we are able to raise the
103 > > quality level, or rather are restricted to what exists and expect
104 > > the council to raise the quality instead (by having the council do
105 > > that).
106 >
107 > "raise the quality" is very subjective. This would not restrict QA
108 > powers at all, because almost any policy can claim that as its aim.
109
110 Policy formulation is a power that has a near direct effect on quality.
113 With kind regards,
114
115 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
116 Gentoo Developer
117
118 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
119 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
120 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D