From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: PMS
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:27:20
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > Steve,
3 >
4 > The offical package manager is portage. If another package manager does
5 > something different to portage - even if it fixes a bug in portage, by
6 > definition, its not compliant.
7 >
8 I take it as the spec is what portage is /supposed/ to do, assuming no bugs.
9 That's not hard to quantify, since portage normally works pretty well (you
10 get an occasional testing release that introduces a bug or regression,
11 which is to be expected) and the portage team know what it's supposed to
12 do, and are forthcoming to other projects.
13
14 The only bug I've found that annoys me, and hasn't been fixed, is the one
15 where it doesn't pick up that a blocking package is about to be updated
16 before the blockee, so the block will no longer apply. This is easy for a
17 user to spot, so it's easy for a script to fix, and we implemented that
18 workaround in update months ago.
19
20 I'm totally happy with portage and trust its dev team. I know full well that
21 2.2 is in the works and have no issue waiting for it to get here, as in the
22 meantime portage has worked reliably, as the install base shows.
23
24 > The exisiting PMS have been arrived at by documenting what portage
25 > does, which is itself a moving target.
26 > No PMS is likely to be endorsed until Portage stays still long enough
27 > to document it, check it and ratifiy it, unless some arbitary portage
28 > version is chosen to document.
29 >
30 I think we should talk more about EAPI than PMS. That's what ebuild devs
31 work to, a BASH api to the most part, with specification of how strings are
32 composed and what they mean to the PM.
33
34 > Any such PMS won't be very useful, as portage will have moved on
35 > meanwhile. A PMS will only be useful when its adopted and maintained by
36 > the portage devs, when portage will become a reference inplementaion of
37 > the spec. I don't see that happening, since they don't need such a
38 > document.
39 >
40 I agree that the EAPI is not fixed until it's agreed and implemented by
41 portage. The PMS thing seems extraneous to Gentoo needs atm; it's more to
42 enable other projects to interoperate with the tree. It certainly wasn't
43 needed for pkgcore imo.
47 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list