From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo now has a Github "organization"
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:03:17
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
> I don't understand how this would be painful. In my mind: > >  $ cp ~/github/collab/cat/pkgfile.ebuild ~/gentoo/gentoo-x86/cat/pkg/ >  $ cd ~/github/collab/cat/pkg >  $ # Follow normal commit steps here.
Then realize that you just committed an ebuild that lacks some fix the foo.eclass team quietly made to the previous ebuild when making some tree-wide tweak. In maintaining the mythtv ebuilds one of the things I've noticed is that it is not always easy to keep tree ebuilds in sync with an external overlay, because people do stuff to the tree all the time without involving the maintainers. Usually these are relatively small changes that are good from a quality perspective (often related to dependencies/etc), or just stuff like package moves/virtuals/etc, but the bottom line is that if you just merge some change from an overlay without doing some checks you can end up with a regression. So, if people are going to submit patches to help out it is best that those patches be against what is actually in portage and not some slowly diverging repository. The only way to really address this is to somehow apply changes automatically back into the overlay, but that has issues as well. In a git-based world with easy branching/etc this would likely be less of a problem... Rich