From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:04:20
1 On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > It definitely does create a conflict of interest.
5 What kind of conflict are we actually talking about? It isn't a
6 conflict of interest to hold an opinion. It is only a conflict if the
7 personal interests of a council member aren't aligned with the
8 interests of the developer community as a whole.
9
10 If a Council member has been investigating a situation closely, then
11 my feeling is that they're in a BETTER position to evaluate the
12 situation and not a worse one. The DevRel process is not an
13 adversarial one.
14
15 If we as a community can't trust somebody's ability to be
16 professional, then the last thing we should do is elect them to the
17 Council. Keep in mind that Developers only can lose their status if
18 they really tick a lot of people off. Council members lose their
19 status by default every 12 months.
20
21 Is there a problem here that actually needs to be solved? Can
22 somebody point to a recent situation where a conflict of interest
23 between a Council member and a developer led to a decision that a
24 majority of the community would consider inappropriate?