From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 17:40:13
1 Speaking as someone who has had a less than stellar ride on the
2 recruiting process, but who somehow managed to get foundation
3 membership due to non-code and non-ebuild related contributions, as
4 well as a patch in the linux kernel.
5
6 I LOVE gentoo, as a user. I have been an avid gentoo user ever since
7 a friend of mine told me about.
8
9 The control over my machine, nothing hard coded, nothing getting in my
10 way when I need to tell my computer what to do and how to do it. Of
11 course, it doesn't much save me when I shoot myself in the foot, but
12 honestly, I'd rather do that than have stuff hard-coded that I can't
13 change.
14
15 I love being able to set my machine up the way I need it, and it's
16 proving to, perhaps on topic further, serve as the foundation of a
17 growing file the recruiters at google are building on me as a
18 potential candidate. Gentoo might actually help me get a job if it
19 continues to give me an education on software engineering and system
20 administration. Would be a welcome upgrade to my life of being a
21 disabled "basement dweller"
22
23 And Gentoo actually inspired me in a way to get my computer and
24 networking gear hooked up to a UPS device...which actually saved my
25 family from some otherwise intense grief during a power failure when I
26 was able to use my UPS powered internet connection to look up the
27 power company's phone number.
28
29 Using x11vnc (encrypted, and through a SSH tunnel) also gave me some
30 hands on practice at remote system administration, using my own gentoo
31 powered desktop as a guinea pig and my android phone from afar across
32 the cloud to get back into my machine...and then putting up a tunnel
33 after noticing some alien IPs were pinging my x11vnc server :P.
34
35 All in all, Gentoo has been an EXTREMELY positive influence in my
36 life, both personally, hobby wise, and hopefully a solid base going
37 forward if/when my career gets started as a software engineer.
38
39 So whatever it takes to keep Gentoo being the most awesome linux
40 distro I have seen yet, has my approval. I joined the foundation for
41 a reason.
42
43 Speaking of which, what would the trustees of the foundation say about
44 this conversation? I'm assuming that they're designed to be more than
45 asset monkeys.
46
47 On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Christopher Díaz Riveros