From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: hwoarang@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 18:03:59
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 20:59:21 +0100
Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:

> I would like to nominate the following people (grab a pen): > > mgorny
I think I will have the necessary time this year, so I accept. My manifest follows: There are three things I believe in when it comes to Gentoo: 1) The KISS principle. I believe that we should try hard at least not to make things overcomplicated. Even better, we should find the things that are too complex now, and try to make them simpler. Sometimes that requires sacrifices. For example, I believe that packing too much features into an eclass is a bad idea. If a particular feature is to be used by two or three packages, it's usually better to just put that in the ebuilds itself rather than adding a bunch of code to eclass used by 100 other packages. 2) That users are more important than developers. Although in Gentoo that line is quite blurry, let's be honest: without users, what would we need developers for? I believe we should first think about making things more friendly to users, then about making them easier for devs. Not the other way around. Example: we should try to split packages whenever possible rather than abusing USE flags. User not having to rebuild a large package just to enable a tiny GUI counterpart is a real benefit, even if it means that the developer will have to maintain two packages rather than one. 3) That history should not stand in the way of improvement. I'm not saying that keeping something as-is is bad. I'm just saying that 'historical reasons' are no argument, and we should be ready to reconsider past decisions and improve, if that could benefit either users or developers. And I hope the git migration will have its place in this year's Council tasks. -- Best regards, Michał Górny