From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:08:24
George Prowse wrote:
> Steve Long wrote: >> drobbins' offer left a nasty taste in my mouth: one week, all his own >> appointees, no information (beyond: "expect big changes"), no discussion. >> >> Er, no thanks? >> >> Maybe that's cos he's frustrated and doesn't want to waste time; it's >> just not the kind of ultimatum I personally would ever accept. And since >> we haven't had a Foundation since last summer, I really don't see the >> need to be bullied into accepting. >> > I'd never heard about his offer until I got the previous email through > and it seems very drastic and extremely unlikely that anyone will give > it the time of day. >
Exactly: it's too drastic and sudden; all-or-nothing, now-or-never.
> I dont see what would really change though, Gentoo needs a president > type and he seems like the only logical candidate. >
Does it? Seems to me like there are a few Napoleons around ;-) I'd still love it if he were back on-board ofc, but I really don't understand why anyone would want to cave in to these demands. Grow a pair, ffs!
> I also can't see why people would be worried about taking up his offer, > I mean I can't see anything radical that would different apart from the > management structure and that would result in some developers losing > their ability to exert control over various parts. >
Well technically the Foundation used to be legal title-holder to all Gentoo assets. He's talking about the Trustees exerting control over the developers, which is something it was explicity set up not to do; the Council are the ultimate authority for all developers. So in a sense he's trying to take control over the whole thing (even though it would be a new legally disjoint entity) in one swoop. Some people will applaud that, others not. *shrug* The SFC thing is far more like the old Foundation tbh. Only they have professional admins, accountants and lawyers. ;)
> At the very least I would only consider his offer when I had some sort > of information on the offer. Negotiations are whats needed, not an > instant accept/decline
Yeah, only he explicitly rules out any negotiation and set a very tight deadline to accept or refuse. I pleaded with him to change only the terms (no discussion/deadline and all his appointees) believe it or not. meh. "Railroading" is the only term that seems apt to me. -- gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list