From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 10:56:27
1 On 03/31/2014 02:07, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-03-30, o godz. 23:13:50
3 > Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> Lets just stick with the JEDEC standard's way of doing things that came from IBM.
6 >
7 > JEDEC itself admits it have failed with the 'standard way':
8 >
9 > | NOTE 2 The definitions of kilo, giga, and mega based on powers of two
10 > | are included only to reflect common usage. IEEE/ASTM SI 10‑1997 states
11 > | "This practice frequently leads to confusion and is deprecated." Further
12 > | confusion results from the popular use of a "megabyte" consisting
13 > | of 1 024 000 bytes to define the capacity of the familiar "1.44‑MB"
14 > | diskette.
15 >
16 > http://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/mega-m-prefix-units-semiconductor-storage-capacity
17
18 The problem is, those of us who grew up in those dark ages, who played with
19 5.25" and 3.5" disks....we're a lost cause. No hope to save us. It'll
20 always be 1,024 bytes to a kilobyte. Anything else is blasphemy. Save
21 yourselves!
22
23 Besides, for an outdated standard, it still gets used a lot. Last I
24 checked, one can really only buy RAM in sizes of powers of two. And the
25 computer will report that size, in powers of two. Ditto for L1/L2/L3 caches
26 (look at the top of any kernel dmesg), etc.
27
28 In some respect, if all one cares about is free space on a disk drive or how
29 fast they can stream a movie, then the KiB/MiB thing works. But if you play
30 with bits and bytes from time-to-time (and worry about byte alignment) or
31 sometimes fiddle w/ partition tables in a hex editor...you're going to think
32 in terms of powers of two.
33
34 So both have their uses. Hence my suggestion of making it a
35 user-configurable setting.
38 Joshua Kinard
39 Gentoo/MIPS
40 kumba@g.o
41 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
42
43 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
44 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
45
46 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic