From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:50:10
1 On 05-08-2011 11:33:52 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > > A smaller committee for a chief technical officer fits better into a
3 > > normal corporate structure. A smaller council could form special
4 > > interest groups to address individual problems so nothing would be
5 > > lost from the reduced numbers.
6 > >
7 > FWIW, I support Donnie's idea. I would like to see a smaller and more
8 > flexible Council which could assign tasks to interested parties. Right
9 > now, it takes 3-4 months (that is 3-4 meetings) for a Council to decide
10 > things and make substantial progress where other distributions are
11 > moving faster by having a single developer or a small group leading the
12 > project. In my point of view, we need to consider a fundamental change
13 > to our organizational structure. Roy's ideas are very interesting,
14 > however we need to decide on an abstract design before we dig into the
15 > details.
16
17 You really don't think the effectiveness of Council meetings should be
18 improved, instead of just reducing the number of members and
19 responsibilties, such that just one person is responsible for a
20 decision?
21
22 I am against the idea of having single people being able to easily make
23 (possibly totally unfunded) decisions that affect Gentoo full project
24 wide.
25
26 On the one hand, I think too many issues are brought to the Council
27 because people want to be put in their rights, or because they don't
28 feel like digging out the details to make the right decision.
29
30 On the other hand, Council members should discuss much more on lists,
31 prior to meetings, ultimately resolving/deciding issues already before
32 any meeting takes place. I see no direct need for centralised meetings
33 at all to discuss on many topics. Voting could happen on a ML as good
34 as on IRC.
38 Fabian Groffen
39 Gentoo on a different level