From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:32:56
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/14/2011 12:27 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > On 14-08-2011 12:12:32 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >> Quite a few of you know that Council acts as a court in case a
7 >> developer has unresolved disputes with Devrel or when he is not
8 >> happy with a Devrel's decision. The problem is that having the same
9 >> people in the Council and in Devrel makes no sense since the same
10 >> people will vote twice on that matter. A developer who wants to
11 >> appeal to Council, seeks a review of his case and a fresh voting
12 >> from new people. However, having devrel members, which are already
13 >> biased based on the previous decision, makes the "Council's court
14 >> role" a moot role :)
15 >
16 > In a way, yes you're right. However, escalations to Council should
17 > be rare. Council members were elected by dev community, so
18 > apparently people didn't bother about them being to do so. I think it
19 > would be elegant when DevRel members in the Council would abstain
20 > from a vote, but if that makes a small remaining group of voters...
21
22 Yes it is very rare but still there is a possibility to happen, and in
23 this case, it makes no sense having the same people vote twice on the
24 same issue.
25 >
26 > Perhaps it would be better when DevRel members in the Council would
27 > be replaced by (their) proxies for such vote?
28 In my mind, a proxy= a guy who thinks the same way I do, so it makes no
29 difference whether the Council member or the proxy votes.
30
31 Or should random people
32 > picked from the dev community and asked if they want to cast a vote?
33 This is a bit risky, people may be biased ( I really like this dev || I
34 really hate this dude ) and again the voting may not be just.
37 > Perhaps the Council should be released from this task at all, and
38 > instead should be given the job to assemble a jury out of the dev
39 > community (with non-involvement in DevRel) that is to examine the
40 > case, and make a final verdict that the Council will accept/act
41 > upon.
42 >
43 Same problem as before. You need to make sure that the jury will not be
44 biased. This introduces another layer of bureaucracy. We have enough of
45 them already
46
47 - --
48 Regards,
49 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2