From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] repoman dilfridge manifesto
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 17:24:22
1 Howdy,
2
3 since I realized that I'm one of the few who haven't posted a manifesto for
4 the council election yet, here's it.
5
6 First of all, for those who don't know me yet. I'm a Linux user since
7 approximately 1998 and around as a Gentoo developer since 2010. I started off
8 in the KDE team and still contribute there, though not so much anymore, mainly
9 because it is in very good hands. In the meantime, I've stepped in in various
10 places where help was needed. I'm in the office, printing and perl team. Among
11 other things I'm generating the libreoffice-bin packages, I maintain CUPS and
12 Digikam. These days I'm helping zlogene bring the Perl virtuals uptodate. Last
13 year I was elected to the council.
14
15 Gentoo is about choice. This is the main point that we should always remember.
16 We provide an incredible amount of flexibility to our users (both direct and
17 via our downstreams), and this flexibility is something we have to value and
18 preserve.
19
20 This means that an important task is to balance.
21
22 Between friends of exotic but slow arches and amd64 power users.
23 Between full desktop environments and server installs. (1)
24 Between providing cutting edge brand new software and rock-solid stable
25 systems.
26 Between maintainers who want absolutely noone to touch their package and tree-
27 wide necessary changes.
28 Between people who barge in and want to immediately reform everything, and
29 people who prefer that our ebuilds still work with 10 year old portage.
30
31 All this is best solved when people talk to each other directly and figure out
32 the solutions themselves. Unfortunately this does not always work. I see the
33 council as the institution that provides direction and helps solve all the
34 conflicts of interest that can arise. (Yes, fancy word!)
35
36 I think the last year has been pretty productive, and I'd like to thank all my
37 council colleagues; while obviously there are differences of opinion, it was a
38 pleasure to work together.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Andreas
42
43 (1) Trying very hard not to mention the s*****d word here.
46 Andreas K. Huettel
47 Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)
48 dilfridge@g.o
49 http://www.akhuettel.de/