From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation - continued discussions
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:46:30
1 On 24-08-2011 09:20:00 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:01:07AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 > > I would like to put an additional issue on the table which I encountered
5 > > while implementing fully from CVS generated ChangeLogs for the Prefix
6 > > rsync tree.
7 > [snip]
8 > And all of this is impacted by how we do thin manifests and commit
9 > signing.
10
11 Obviously.
12
13 > Thin manifests are those that contain ONLY entries for files not covered
14 > by another (direct or indirect) hash in the VCS. Git's use of SHA1
15 > allows a conversion from Git+thin Manifest to classical Manifest2.
16
17 How does this work with generating the other hashes?
18
19 > Commit signing has a few implications/side-effects:
20 > - commits are signed so Manifests are NOT signed anymore.
21
22 I assume this is ok, and has no effect in terms of guarantees one makes
23 about the content.
24
25 > - During the conversion to classical Manifest2, we need to create
26 > automated signatures (see the tree-signing GLEPs for MetaManifest).
27 > - As a side advantage of the automated Manifests/signatures, we can use
28 > the Manifest2 changes proposed in the tree-signing GLEPs to cover ALL
29 > of the profiles and eclasses.
30 >
31 > I'm going to be away Thursday till Monday, so the lack of any further
32 > impact from me doesn't mean I don't have an opinion, rather just that
33 > I'm away from the Internet.
34
35 Your input is much appreciated (if not authoritive). I hope you'll
36 catch up on this discussion after you return.
40 Fabian Groffen
41 Gentoo on a different level