From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: chithanh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:56:13
1 On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 13:52 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 07:18:49AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
4 > > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > Yes, cooperation is better. But the method how to achieve cooperation is
6 > > > convincing through arguments, not forcing changes against the wishes of the
7 > > > maintainer.
8 > >
9 > > There we disagree. Maintaining a package is a privilege conditioned
10 > > on using that power in alignment with our philosophies, not a right.
11 > > I wouldn't force the maintainer to actively support any particular
12 > > config, but I wouldn't allow them to actively interfere with the
13 > > properly-supported work of any project. I'll leave it at that - many
14 > > will agree, many will disagree. I'm going to be completely up-front
15 > > about my beliefs here, and I'm eager to see how the majority view is
16 > > reflected in votes in the hope that the community can pick one
17 > > direction and start moving in it either way.
18 >
19 > I'm going to agree with Rich. Maintaining a package in Gentoo is a
20 > privilege; not a right. Maintainers do not own the packages; we as a
21 > distribution own them. Packages should be maintained in a manor that is
22 > in line with the gentoo philosophy.
23 >
24 > William
27 Overall, I agree with both sides
28
29 1) What Chí-Thanh said is true:
30
31 Yes, cooperation is better. But the method how to achieve cooperation is
32 convincing through arguments,...
33
34 2) What Rich said is also true:
35
36 Maintaining a package is a privilege conditioned
37 on using that power in alignment with our philosophies, not a right.
40 The main problem here is finding the right balance between convincing
41 (first choice) and mandating (if convincing fails). Unfortunately, like
42 anywhere else in this world, not everyone will agree on where that
43 balance point should be. There will always be extremists on both ends
44 of the debate. It is the developers votes that will determine which end
45 of the spectrum the balance point will be. It is also prudent for them
46 to vote in someone that can see both ends of the spectrum ;)
49 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>