From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 11:50:13
1 On 06-08-2011 11:00:16 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > Oh come on Jorge. You know what I mean by slacking arches. I am not
3 > talking about punishing them. Maybe drop stable keywords or drop keyword
4 > from X package and shrink their tree so they can keep up with the load.
5 >
6 > > This should be the arch more developers use daily and is likely the
7 > > one with more members (herd count). Also, one should remember the
8 > > time it takes to compile, test or debug an issue in a recent amd64
9 > > system or an old / slow box with an "exotic arch" varies
10 > > substantially. Not to mention that the amount of testing done on
11 > > "exotic arches" varies substantially between projects.
12 > I am aware of the problems and this is way I want a solution.
13
14 And what solution do you have in mind (in your Council role)?
15
16 > > In the last council, I've took the job of promoting some email
17 > > threads between arch teams, the council, trustees and infra to see
18 > > what we could do about it. Some of the issues were then opened on the
19 > > project ml. You are correct that there wasn't a "quick", "final" or
20 > > even "conclusive" decision, but I'll argue that we needed more debate
21 > > - including more interest and participation from the community. I do
22 > > think we had a good discussion.
23 > Yes, we discussed what was needed etc but I don't really think that
24 > anything changed since them. If not, then I apologize
25
26 What would you have seen changed that the Council can influence upon?
27
28 > > If the argument in the end boils down to how many arches Gentoo
29 > > supports and about leaving support for some arches or killing it so
30 > > that maintainers aren't "bogged down" by arches, I'll support arches
31 > > over maintainers.
32 > >
33 > I never said to completely drop these arches. When did I say that? I
34 > just want a more realistic approach on how well an arch is supported.
35 > Why you people are afraid to admit that we have problems? Having an arch
36 > with constantly >200 stabilization bugs open clearly proves that the
37 > manpower cannot handle the situation.
38
39 How do you suggest the Council to solve this issue and, as you indicated
40 before, right now?
44 Fabian Groffen
45 Gentoo on a different level