From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Gentoo Recruiters need your help!
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:19:33
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 11/17/2014 12:23 PM, Justin (jlec) wrote:
5 > On 17/11/14 12:43, Manuel Rüger wrote:
6 >> On 17.11.2014 11:27, Justin (jlec) wrote:
7 >>> On 17/11/14 11:16, Manuel Rüger wrote:
8 >>>> On 17.11.2014 10:39, Justin (jlec) wrote:
9 >>>>> On 16/11/14 18:19, Mikle Kolyada wrote: After all, i
10 >>>>> noticed,
11 >>>>>> not all new developers understand what they must to do (
12 >>>>>> i have an example, but it's another discussion)
13 >>>>
14 >>>>> It is crucial that report such things to us so that we can
15 >>>>> guide the mentors more closely. Thanks.
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>> I know the recruiters teams is short on time, but feedback
19 >>>> to mentors is really appreciated (at least I do). Maybe you
20 >>>> could push a short mail to the mentors after you set up the
21 >>>> new dev? This could include the recruiter-reviewed quizzes
22 >>>> (so the mentor can diff with the one she or he reviewed.
23 >>>> Better prereviews means less work for the recruiters) and a
24 >>>> note that the mentor has to check the commits of the new dev
25 >>>> in the first month (this should be already known by the
26 >>>> mentor, but a subtle hint doesn't harm. Maybe add some best
27 >>>> practices for that).
28 >>>>
29 >>
30 >>> Hi Manuel,
31 >>
32 >>> when the recruitment is done, you should get notified through
33 >>> the bug tracker and by your mentee that the real business
34 >>> starts. There is not additional mail required. Your mentee also
35 >>> can provide you all the information like fixed quizzes, review
36 >>> session logs etc.
37 >>
38 >>> Justin
41 >> Hi Justin,
42 >>
43 >> I'm aware of that, but I doubt many mentors will ask their
44 >> mentees for this information, so this becomes a push-vs-pull
45 >> problem.
46 >>
47 >> Looking into the webapp, I get the feeling that mentors have
48 >> different levels of expectations what's an acceptable answer.
49 >> Some accept really brief answers, others "torture" their mentees
50 >> in detail.
51 >>
52 >> I'm sure you as a recruiter know better if my assumption is
53 >> valid. So at least mentors that accept brief answers could profit
54 >> from reading recruiter-reviewed quizzes. An alternative to this
55 >> would be expanding the webapp to show minimal requirements for
56 >> each answer to the mentor.
57 >
58 > Hi Manuel,
59 >
60 > the difference in torture level results in more or less well
61 > prepared mentees. If a mentor is really taking time to go through
62 > everything, the recruitment session with the recruiter are going
63 > very fast. Otherwise we need to explain and teach.
64 >
65 > I don't think a mentor will start on its own to critically review
66 > it's own performance. We would rather need a training/supervision
67 > of mentors including detailed feedback at the end.
68
69 Whilst that would be nice to have, it also adds another level of
70 bureaucracy and complexity to an already time-consuming process.
73 > The recruiter a quite understaffed, so I would suggest to organize
74 > as a senior/junior mentor thing. We have really great senior
75 > mentors like swift, who provide always well prepared mentees. Would
76 > is possible to do it that way?
79 What we can do *at the moment* is to send those recruits who are
80 partially prepared back to mentors. Bouncing them back to mentors is
81 essentially the ultimate way to tell mentors "hey, you did not do a
82 good job here. Try again". Which is not an unreasonable thing to do.
83 Mentors are supposed to be, well, mentors. If the recruit lacks
84 crucial information then you were clearly not a good mentor and either
85 self-improve or ask your recruit to find another mentor.
86
87 It's harsh, yet I think it's very effective. Recruiters,
88 traditionally, have been very patient trying to "teach" recruits what
89 mentors failed to. Obviously this does not scale very well.
90
91 Now, again, can we stay on-topic ? Fork this thread if you need to
92 - --
93 Regards,
94 Markos Chandras