From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:18:51
1 On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > Note however that I consider the scenario that you describe somewhat
4 > unlikely, because I expect that any package fork will be done with the
5 > intention of swaying as many users as possible to the new package.
6 > Therefore, it will probably include most if not all functions of the
7 > original package.
8
9 Agreed, but even then you start having nomenclature issues. Do we
10 really want new users to have to figure out that apache is the package
11 that nobody uses because a stubborn maintainer is sitting on the name,
12 while apache-fixed is the one that actually works like most would
13 expect it to?
14
15 > Yes, cooperation is better. But the method how to achieve cooperation is
16 > convincing through arguments, not forcing changes against the wishes of the
17 > maintainer.
18
19 There we disagree. Maintaining a package is a privilege conditioned
20 on using that power in alignment with our philosophies, not a right.
21 I wouldn't force the maintainer to actively support any particular
22 config, but I wouldn't allow them to actively interfere with the
23 properly-supported work of any project. I'll leave it at that - many
24 will agree, many will disagree. I'm going to be completely up-front
25 about my beliefs here, and I'm eager to see how the majority view is
26 reflected in votes in the hope that the community can pick one
27 direction and start moving in it either way.
28
29 Rich