From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] You have been researched (again)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:31:54
1 On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:45:05 +0200
2 Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/19/2013 03:02 AM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
5 > > On 2013-06-19 00:01, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
6 > >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
7 > >> - - - David Garcia, Marcelo Serrano Zanetti and Frank Schweitzer
8 > >> Chair of Systems Design – www.sg.ethz.ch – ETH Zurich
9 > >>
10 > >> [...]
11 > >>
12 > >> http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.3612
13 > >>
14 > >>
15 > >> Merry reading,
16 > >> jer
17 > >>
18 > >
19 > > So, there ya go. Start taking happy pills and be more positive and
20 > > motivating!
23 > I've not read their new paper but the first one was just ridiculous.
24 > They drew an edge from A to B if A reassigned a bug to B and
25 > intepreted this as "A knows that B is an expert on the subject".
26 > That is just ridiculous since A is usually a bug wrangler and B is to
27 > be found in metadata. For instance the emacs team which gets very
28 > few bugs almost never appears as B (and certainly not A). This
29 > introduces all sorts of bias. I think it would be fair to say that
30 > their first study had very low predictive power and the effects they
31 > saw were created by their method.
32
33 Good to (finally) see some critical review on the "laymen's" side of
34 the subject matter. I didn't vent any opinion on the last paper since,
35 you know, they're doing science in their niche and I'm not going to
36 tell them how to do it - social research has its fundamental problems
37 and I have my own to deal with.
38
39 In reading the second paper on the alleged decline of Gentoo's bug
40 tracker performance, I went back to the first one, and I don't really
41 see how performance degraded and never returned to form after that
42 <sarcasm>cataclysmic event</sarcasm> in ~2008.
43
44 I think it's fair to say things are done very differently now and that
45 lots of bug reports now don't get CLOSED/INVALID, REOPENED, wrongly
46 assigned, reassigned, re-reported, redefined, entangled with unrelated
47 but similar bugs, and DUPLICATEd so much any more, so I've asked the
48 researchers some questions[1] on this issue of measuring performance[2].
49
50 I should also point out that doing social science properly is rather
51 tricky, and that not getting entangled in the historiography of the
52 subject matter is important. Lots of things went on in 2008 - good and
53 bad things, and the community was under a lot of stress. And while I am
54 at it: do note that nobody was interviewed this time around. The second
55 paper regards Gentoo's poor bug tracker performance after Alice's
56 retirement as a well-established fact found in the first paper.
59 Regards,
60 jer
63 [1] And within hours I have three replies from the same person in my
64 inbox! I'll probably follow up on this.
65 [2] Frankly it stings a little to read about my vain efforts to improve
66 bug wrangling, but conversely I might simply blame the research
67 metrics. :)