From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo: growing pains & the future.
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:37:11
1 On 16 June 2013 22:21, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > (Please reply on the gentoo-project list, I have set the Reply-To header
3 > for this mail appropriately).
4 >
5 > ===
6 > TL;DR:
7 > - Does GLEP39 still serve all the needs of Gentoo? Devrel useful?
8 > - How to improve ourselves as a distribution (technical) and as people
9 > (personal interactions)?
10 > - Would EVERY developer please start acting professionally in all fora?
11 > ===
12 >
13 Hi Robin
14
15 I am really glad you sent that e-mail. Personally, I will try to give
16 short answers to the previously mentioned bullet points.
17
18 - DevRel is useful as long as GLEP39 is in place. I wish we could get
19 rid of GLEP39 but I believe council is the only entity that can
20 render this GLEP obsolete.
21 - We can't improve ourselves. People don't change. You can either
22 behave good or you can't. If you need a slap to make you behave
23 nicely, then this is not going to work in the long-term. And you can't
24 improve a distribution technical wise, if you have people who can't
25 work together.
26 - We've been requesting this for a very very long time, yet 2 days ago
27 we had another incident. So I'd say, no, we can't.
30 Regards,
31 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
32 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang