From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 05:49:12
1 On Sunday 04 December 2011 23:17:55 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 12/05/11 11:52, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 04 December 2011 22:42:46 Patrick Lauer wrote:
4 > >> On 12/05/11 10:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >>> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
6 > >>>> And spend much more time trying to find them silly logfiles now that
7 > >>>> we hide the output. I really enjoy having to fix yet another bad
8 > >>>> default everywhere just so I see *why* things fail ...
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Unless something has changed the logfile name including full path is
11 > >>> printed when there is an error. So, it is just a matter of copy/paste
12 > >>> into a cat and you can watch the whole thing scroll by and even
13 > >>> pretend it is compiling really fast while it is doing it. :)
14 > >>
15 > >> So one useless step added, which might give extra funny output because
16 > >> of escaped escape sequences and such funnies, with no benefit for me
17 > >
18 > > uhh, no. cat on the log files works perfectly fine in any sane terminal.
19 >
20 > Unless the build system became extra happy ...
21
22 i have no idea wtf you're talking about. i'm just going to go with "you have
23 no real examples".
24
25 > >>> It seems like a pretty sane default to assume that most packaged build
26 > >>> without issues - after all, that is basically the goal, right?
27 > >>
28 > >> And for those I don't care about the output at all, but when things fail
29 > >> I want to see it.
30 > >
31 > > it's hard to have a conversation when you don't even verify your
32 > > statements. when a build fails, it outputs the entire log. thus your
33 > > statement here makes no sense at all.
34 >
35 > Not all failures are errors, only errors are shown
36
37 all failures as characterized by "ebuild called `die`" get shown -- portage
38 dumps the entire log, thus your need to copy & paste the log file to `cat` is
39 garbage.
40
41 all "failures" that don't result in an aborted build (e.g. EAPI=0 dodoc on
42 missing file) will get "missed". many of those are logged as QA warnings, but
43 it seems default --quiet-build=y will not include these in the log summary.
44 this might be useful to fix -- i'll poke Zac about it if he doesn't see this e-
45 mail.
46
47 otherwise, your statement is really way too zen to get anything meaningful out
48 of it. post actual examples of what you're talking about.
49
50 > So I'm still left wondering why things didn't go as planned, but at that
51 > point the log has already been removed and I have to rebuild things
52 > after remembering to change defaults ... not that this happened to me or
53 > anything like that, just that it has happened to me twice now and I'm
54 > getting tired of spending time on changing defaults that should be sane.
55
56 the defaults are not aimed at developers. if you're complaining about the
57 defaults in that role, then any arguments along those lines don't really
58 belong here.
59
60 > >> So for me the proper default is "show everything, let me ignore what I
61 > >> don't want"
62 > >
63 > > then change your defaults
64 >
65 > One machine at a time I am ... one chroot at a time ...
66
67 this is crap
68 -mike