From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:33:47
1 On Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:15:38 AM EST William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:46:14 AM EST Michał Górny wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Did you ever estimate how much harm to actual Gentoo development do
5 > > never-ending mailing list threads that bring no point whatsoever except
6 > > for provoking a lot of developers to reply, who would otherwise be
7 > > doing technical work on Gentoo?
8 >
9 > Given the fact Gentoo mailing lists go inactive for periods of time. Given
10 > the fact that lots of things have issues no one notices. You are assuming
11 > Gentoo is much more popular that it is.
14 So this BS logic is likely part of that which went into moderating me long ago
15 on -nfp. You can see any posts there are 100% public and any CoC violations at
16 best were very minor.
17
18 Lets take Michał Górny about mailing list activity and stats. Once I left the
19 -nfp list, it died as it did before. It is of no surprise to me many things
20 have not changed or happened since then.
21
22 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/
23
24 Years of inactivity with very few posts. The most active period ~2008 when I
25 was a Trustee. Things were happening like reinstating the foundation, public
26 review of by laws which were later adopted, and a bank account was obtained.
27 Thus list activity directly reflected activity in the foundation. No list
28 activity, nothing much going on in foundation and less with the community.
29 Hardly a sign of work being done, or mailing list activity causing work to not
30 be done.
31
32 Had I not been driven away the -nfp list and community would likely still be
33 active. But I was the problem. I went away and things died in my absence. it
34 really is not a good argument and facts do not support that. Even less work
35 was done in my absence despite list activity being minimal.
36
37 Now lets take a look at Project, very few posts before I showed up in
38 November. I was NOT the only one posting or commenting. Which again shows the
39 community coming alive and communicating.
40
41 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/
42
43 I am also quite shocked at how little activity is taking place on -dev mailing
44 list. Arguable the most important and popular list of any. But the numbers do
45 not seem as off there, It does seem like months in the thousands or close are
46 lesser in recent years. But over all stats seem to vary heavily historically.
47
48 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/
49
50 We could go further and compare monthly list activity to monthly commit
51 activity. I think this is stupid. Conversation is only good. The only people
52 seeking to prevent conversation are those trying to preserve or keep the
53 status quo.
54
55 That the same people are talking about things being confidential and wanting to
56 reduce mailing list activity is a bit concerning.
57
58 If an optional mailing list for a volunteer project distracts you from doing
59 your work. That to me seems like a personal issue than anything to do with a
60 list being over active. Lists should be active, it is a sign of an active
61 community.
64 William L. Thomson Jr.