From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Use of git for site/proj/docs
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 12:02:54
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 02:03:38PM -0500, Matthew Summers wrote:
> It is not the size that matters, but the layout of the resulting repo > or repos. I know the Foundation has discussed having it's own repo. > There is also the news/gmn/gwn dir and so on. > > How should these resultant repos be structured? Are we in a position > to retire some of the dirs in gentoo/ ?
If the repository as a whole isn't converted to a single repository, you'll always have to deal with creating the necessary awareness towards the users about different locations. But that doesn't mean it'll involve breakage of anything. Personally, I know the most about the gentoo/xml part of the repository. Most of the things below that (like gentoo/xml/htdocs, ...) are all quite much related to each other. A change on an XSL file might be best done simultaneously with a change on a DTD and various XML files. So my suggestion would be to at least keep this repository in one "set". I know there are different privileges assigned below that (translation teams have different commit rights than documentation editors, who have different commit rights than website, etc.) and I don't know if git handles this too. Otoh, for me, I don't mind if the commit rights on gentoo/xml are all put together. After all, we don't put ACLs on gentoo-x86 either do we? The other parts, like gentoo/misc (which hasn't seem an update in years), gentoo/users (which I think can best be migrated to gogo on a per-user level, and might not even require migration of the history) and gentoo/src (which I think can be best migrated to gogo as well, but probably involves history migration too) I know less about. So, what if we - focus on gentoo/xml as a migration to git - contact the folks mentioned in gentoo/users to see if they can request a git repo on gogo and migrate their content themselves - contact the projects mentioned in gentoo/src to see if they need to have a git repo on gogo and if so, if they need to have the commit history migrated as well - put gentoo/misc in freeze Wkr, Sven Vermeulen