From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Use of git for site/proj/docs
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 12:02:54
1 On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 02:03:38PM -0500, Matthew Summers wrote:
2 > It is not the size that matters, but the layout of the resulting repo
3 > or repos. I know the Foundation has discussed having it's own repo.
4 > There is also the news/gmn/gwn dir and so on.
5 >
6 > How should these resultant repos be structured? Are we in a position
7 > to retire some of the dirs in gentoo/ ?
8
9 If the repository as a whole isn't converted to a single repository, you'll
10 always have to deal with creating the necessary awareness towards the users
11 about different locations. But that doesn't mean it'll involve breakage of
12 anything.
13
14 Personally, I know the most about the gentoo/xml part of the repository.
15 Most of the things below that (like gentoo/xml/htdocs, ...) are all quite
16 much related to each other. A change on an XSL file might be best done
17 simultaneously with a change on a DTD and various XML files. So my
18 suggestion would be to at least keep this repository in one "set".
19
20 I know there are different privileges assigned below that (translation teams
21 have different commit rights than documentation editors, who have different
22 commit rights than website, etc.) and I don't know if git handles this too.
23
24 Otoh, for me, I don't mind if the commit rights on gentoo/xml are all put
25 together. After all, we don't put ACLs on gentoo-x86 either do we?
26
27 The other parts, like gentoo/misc (which hasn't seem an update in years),
28 gentoo/users (which I think can best be migrated to gogo on a per-user
29 level, and might not even require migration of the history) and gentoo/src
30 (which I think can be best migrated to gogo as well, but probably involves
31 history migration too) I know less about.
32
33 So, what if we
34 - focus on gentoo/xml as a migration to git
35 - contact the folks mentioned in gentoo/users to see if they can request a
36 git repo on gogo and migrate their content themselves
37 - contact the projects mentioned in gentoo/src to see if they need to have a
38 git repo on gogo and if so, if they need to have the commit history
39 migrated as well
40 - put gentoo/misc in freeze
41
42 Wkr,