From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 15:02:59
1 On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > For 1), for many people it's a waste, and it's not POSIX (== C IIRC), so
3 > should we really do that.  Also, how about this changing default for
4 > existing systems.  Why not update the docs to strongly suggest to set an
5 > UTF-8 profile instead.
6
7 If we do go with the update-the-docs approach, perhaps we should
8 consider still including a locale file in env.d, explicitly set the
9 default there, and then have the UTF-8 entries (perhaps a few common
10 ones) commented out in that file? Then changing to utf-8 is just a
11 matter of swapping the comment marks.
12
13 That at least standardizes the approach taken for new installs and is
14 more instructive. We already do something similar with locale.gen.
15
16 Rich