From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 15:02:59
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
> For 1), for many people it's a waste, and it's not POSIX (== C IIRC), so > should we really do that.  Also, how about this changing default for > existing systems.  Why not update the docs to strongly suggest to set an > UTF-8 profile instead.
If we do go with the update-the-docs approach, perhaps we should consider still including a locale file in env.d, explicitly set the default there, and then have the UTF-8 entries (perhaps a few common ones) commented out in that file? Then changing to utf-8 is just a matter of swapping the comment marks. That at least standardizes the approach taken for new installs and is more instructive. We already do something similar with locale.gen. Rich