From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 07:49:58
On 08:58 Fri 05 Aug     , Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 04-08-2011 13:08:06 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > On 18:15 Tue 02 Aug , Fabian Groffen wrote: > > > I think yes, if the council regarding GLEP39 thinks A, but the dev > > > population B, then it is unlikely the council will vote for B. > > > However, the dev population should vote for other council members > > > that do support B for the next term in that case. > > > > I think the whole idea is rather absurd that the council could > > disagree with a change to GLEP 39 and thus prevent it from going to > > a developer-wide vote, even though they don't think they have the > > authority to change the GLEP. > > Let me try to put it different: > > The assumption that the council has to vote for GLEP39, perhaps is > wrong. Would it make more sense when the council would suggest the > changes for GLEP39 and have the dev community vote on acceptance? > > Beforehand, the council then -- internally -- has to vote if they > agree on the changes being put forward to the dev community. I think > there should be a majority vote among the council members before such > proposal is sent out for a dev vote.
I still don't like it. I think that anyone should be able to submit things to a developer-wide vote if desired, regardless of whether a council majority supports it. I suppose maybe I would be OK with having at least one council "sponsor" for the vote, but I hate the idea of the council having a pre-vote veto on any idea they don't like that changes how they operate. Let's say I propose an idea that 80% of the council likes but 80% of developers want. This doesn't seem unreasonable since I was very highly ranked in voting with a platform that involves totally changing our leadership structure, and yet the council insists it cannot change GLEP 39. I would be pretty pissed if most of Gentoo wanted something but the "cabal" at the top didn't even let them make the choice. I would be OK with the council having a nonbinding vote on the matter prior to an all-dev vote just so everybody knows where they stand, but I think the matter should go to a full vote regardless of the results. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Council Member / Sr. Developer Gentoo Linux Blog: http://dberkholz.com