From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 07:49:58
1 On 08:58 Fri 05 Aug , Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 04-08-2011 13:08:06 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > On 18:15 Tue 02 Aug , Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > > > I think yes, if the council regarding GLEP39 thinks A, but the dev
5 > > > population B, then it is unlikely the council will vote for B.
6 > > > However, the dev population should vote for other council members
7 > > > that do support B for the next term in that case.
8 > >
9 > > I think the whole idea is rather absurd that the council could
10 > > disagree with a change to GLEP 39 and thus prevent it from going to
11 > > a developer-wide vote, even though they don't think they have the
12 > > authority to change the GLEP.
13 >
14 > Let me try to put it different:
15 >
16 > The assumption that the council has to vote for GLEP39, perhaps is
17 > wrong. Would it make more sense when the council would suggest the
18 > changes for GLEP39 and have the dev community vote on acceptance?
19 >
20 > Beforehand, the council then -- internally -- has to vote if they
21 > agree on the changes being put forward to the dev community. I think
22 > there should be a majority vote among the council members before such
23 > proposal is sent out for a dev vote.
24
25 I still don't like it. I think that anyone should be able to submit
26 things to a developer-wide vote if desired, regardless of whether a
27 council majority supports it. I suppose maybe I would be OK with having
28 at least one council "sponsor" for the vote, but I hate the idea of the
29 council having a pre-vote veto on any idea they don't like that changes
30 how they operate.
31
32 Let's say I propose an idea that 80% of the council likes but 80% of
33 developers want. This doesn't seem unreasonable since I was very highly
34 ranked in voting with a platform that involves totally changing our
35 leadership structure, and yet the council insists it cannot change GLEP
36 39. I would be pretty pissed if most of Gentoo wanted something but the
37 "cabal" at the top didn't even let them make the choice.
38
39 I would be OK with the council having a nonbinding vote on the matter
40 prior to an all-dev vote just so everybody knows where they stand, but I
41 think the matter should go to a full vote regardless of the results.
44 Thanks,
45 Donnie
46
47 Donnie Berkholz