From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:32:12
On 14-08-2011 12:22:54 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 12:19 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote: > > On 14-08-2011 12:06:57 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote: > >> My proposal is: > >> > >> Devrel: 1 year term. Developers are nominated by others or they > >> can self-nominated > >> > >> QA: 6-month term. Developers are nominated by others or they can > >> self-nominated > > > > Why not make this a 1-year term also? > Because having a QA team slacking for a year before you take action is > too much :/. OTOH, maybe a 6-month term for DevRel makes more sense.
Ok, but then I'd prefer to make Council a monitoring entity of these two. That is, if QA or DevRel team(-lead) is slacking (however you would define that), Council has the right to appoint a new lead (any time). That way you give the regular 1 year term to someone who does his/her job, but allow to intervene directly as needed (and not after 6 months).
> >> This is just a brainstorming so please let me know what you think. > > > > I think this could be a good idea. It is probably best when the time > > to vote on both QA and DevRel leads is halfway the term of the > > council, else it may as well make as much sense to have the > > dev-community vote on them directly. > > > Fair point but given the turnout in the last Council elections I don't > think developers will care to vote for QA/DevRel leaders. This is better > if it is handled directly by their representatives ( Council )
Right, agree here. I also believe the low turnout can be interpreted as little to no interest to deal with stuff like this, so probably best when Council does all the "work". -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level