From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 05:53:23
1 On 06/04/14 20:33, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > On 04/06/2014 11:10 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 06/04/14 15:47, hasufell wrote:
5 > >> Andreas K. Huettel:
6 > >>> 5) The council encourages teams maintaining central parts of Gentoo
7 > >>> to accept new developers as team members and teach them the
8 > >>> required knowledge and intricacies. We consider this important to
9 > >>> ensure long-term continuity and increase the bus factor in critical
10 > >>> areas.
11 > >>
12 > >>
13 > >> Or don't accept them as team members in the first place, which is
14 > >> perfectly fine if you can still contribute as a non-team member.
15 >
16 > > I agree, new developers shouldn't be allowed in the QA team, there
17 > > should be some 5 year limit
18 > > at least as safe kludge to avoid disrespect like this:
19 >
20 > > #gentoo-qa, yesterday:
21 >
22 > > 21:37 <@Zero_Chaos> floppym: honestly there are a few "senior" gentoo
23 > > developers which could be shot in the head for all I care.
24 >
25 > I fully stand by my statements.
26
27 Makes me sad. I can't see how you could ever manage to communicate with
28 some people you have
29 to communicate as in your role in the in QA team.
30 It requires some so called "customer service" skills, neutrality,
31 following estabilished policies instead
32 of making up your own and trying to enforce those made up ones with
33 harsh language.
34 You should reconsider if you are the best fit for the team, if you want
35 best for Gentoo, and do the right
36 thing, and resign from the team, and work on other areas where you don't
37 need to communicate so much with others.
38
39 > There are a few senior developers who
40 > feel they can do whatever they like.
41
42 I haven't seen any, could be you be more specific? Yes, I've seen some
43 older developers, including
44 myself, keeping their old workflow, but that's hardly "do whatever they
45 like"
46
47 > They ignore policy,
48
49 I haven't seen any, could you be more specific what policies have been
50 violated, and by whom?
51
52 > revert things others have done to improve gentoo,
53
54 Again, I haven't seen anything like this, yes, there has been some
55 reverts (including by myself), but
56 nothing that has "improved gentoo" has been reverted.
57
58 > or otherwise make major changes without consulting anyone.
59
60 If you are referring to our last issue, re: the new virtuals, I've
61 already proofed the issue has been
62 discussed in the past and even documented down in the wiki. It's what
63 the council voted for when
64 they allowed use of subslots in gentoo-x86.
65 If this is not what you meant, again, could you be more specific what
66 and whom you mean?
67
68 - Samuli