From: "J. Rutkowski" <jrtk@×××.io>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Public Outreach Project
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:26:05
1 I would like top improve Gentoo Public Relations outreach to attract new
2 users. Part of this idea would be to improve current Public Relations
3 (social media, GMN, etc.) in addition to grass-roots promotion efforts
4 at conferences, Linux User Groups, and other local or regional events.
5 The idea started when reviewing the Gentoo Events project [1] which
6 seems all but dead since 2011. I have created a draft resurrection of
7 the events project, currently located in my userspace on the wiki [2]. I
8 would like to update the project and allow any contributor to add events
9 as they are announced and indicate they would like to participate as a
10 Gentoo representative.
11
12 Here's a short write-up for the outreach project proposal:
15 *Gentoo Champions* are the public representatives of Gentoo. Champions
16 ensure that the public understands Gentoo’s philosophy and is aware of
17 ongoing projects. Additionally, Champions are responsible for assisting
18 in growing the Gentoo community and contributors, acting as
19 representatives and liaisons between other FOSS projects and the Gentoo
20 community. Champions can represent Gentoo at Linux User Groups (LUGs),
21 conferences, installfests, on social media, and in mailing lists.
22
23 *Gentoo Champion Goals*
24 * Demonstrate and promote Gentoo projects
25 * Represent Gentoo at local events and conferences
26 * Encourage increased Gentoo contribution
27
28 *Events* Representing Gentoo at events is an important part of being a
29 Champion. We are looking for contributors who can represent Gentoo by
30 manning a booth, distributing media, demonstrating projects, and
31 organizing events on behalf of the project. See the conference
32 schedule[2] for a list of events where support is needed.
33
34 *FAQs* *Is it necessary to be Gentoo developer or staff to be a Gentoo
35 Champion?* No. Anyone can assist in representing Gentoo. However, being
36 a Gentoo Champion is one way to make continued and substantial
37 contribution to the Gentoo project and become a Gentoo Developer.[3]
38
39 *What can I do as a Champion?* That’s up to your imagination! Some
40 suggestions:
41 * Speak at local events (LinuxFests, LUGs, etc.) where others
42 are interested in learning about Linux and discuss the
43 advantages of Gentoo
44 * Assist Gentoo in manning booths at events
45 * Join a hackerspace and promote Gentoo for embedded systems and/or
46 towards software developers
47 * Participate in and/or organize Gentoo hackathons and installfests
48 * Participate actively in mailing lists, forums, IRC channels
49 * Manage social media groups
50 * Serve as regional POCs
51 * Come up with new ideas to promote Gentoo
52 * Interview Gentoo Developers for a recurring newsletter in order for
53 the user base to get to know them, ask questions, etc.
54 * Report on attending conferences, LUGs, etc.
55 * Standardize marketing material (media, presentations, handouts,
56 artwork, etc.)
57 * Work with localization teams to extend global reach
58
59 *How can I participate?* Come visit us on #gentoo-pr.
60
61 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Events
62 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Jrtk/drafts/Outreach
63 [3]https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/become-developer/