From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] maintainer-wanted bugcount
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:29:58
1 Markus Ullmann wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz schrieb:
3 >> What is bad about the current state of leaving maintainer-wanted bugs
4 >> open? What problem is it causing that you want to fix?
5 >
6 > Currently a bunch of them are either
7 > - dead upstream for quite some time
8 > - don't work with a current system
9 Those should just be closed WONTFIX then, surely?
10
11 > - are replaced by better tools we already have in the tree
12 >
13 I'd do the same for those, personally. I don't see the point if the packages
14 are not going to be brought into the tree, since there's no need for them.
15 There are plenty of other ebuilds to deal with, without getting into stuff
16 Gentoo already provides.
17
18 > People put a lot of work into that, maybe it's their first ebuild) or
19 > for some apps it's simply a hard job to hack up a working ebuild. When
20 > that stuff then just bitrods without any notice, users become
21 > disappointed.
22 >
23 Agreed. This relates to the wider issue of prerecruitment that hkBst
24 mentioned. If the "collective web interface" idea is good, why not give it
25 encouragement? Or at least some constructive feedback if you don't like the
26 idea.
27
28 There doesn't seem to be much encouragement to users who try to help out
29 (with the odd exception, which stands out on the m-l simply because it is
30 so rare); rather there's more an attitude of snobbery, which is ironic
31 given how little coding is involved in ebuild maintenance, and frankly
32 seems bizarre given how overloaded you all are.
33
34 Although ofc that attitude is meted out to other devs as well. I dunno how
35 you all put up with it tbh; it certainly doesn't look fun from the outside.
39 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list