From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:36:45
On 12/05/2011 03:09 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Zac Medico schrieb: >> One person's common-sense behavioral model is another person's baseless >> claim. > > Claims don't have to be based on data. You can come to a conclusion from > experience/knowledge of working/researching/studying in a particular > subject, or from opinions of those who did. Or you can say that this is > your idea of "common sense". Or your can say that it is derived from > your imagination. > > All these claims are valid and deserve attention, but in a discussion > should be clearly labelled as what they are.
My intention wasn't to present anything as fact. It was to provide a hypothetical mechanism for sampling bias, in order to demonstrate the kinds of challenges involved in statistical analysis.
>>> One way to investigate would be to sample statements in the forum >>> thread, and determining how many responded with personal preference and >>> how many with practical arguments. It would still have to be accounted >>> for those who try to rationalize their pre-conceived opinion with ad-hoc >>> arguments, but better than nothing at all which is the current case. >> >> Sure, but that seems like more of an academic exercise than a practical >> one. I think we'll better of with a judicial approach, where a group of >> judges weighs a set of pros and cons. Gentoo's council is the closest >> thing to that we have to a judiciary. > > I have just given an example of what I would have considered data/fact > regarding the bias claim.
And I think that statistics are basically useless in the current context, due to the challenges involved in obtaining a reasonably unbiased sample. That's why I suggest that a judicial approach would be most appropriate. -- Thanks, Zac