From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] On the way Devrel is constituted
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:40:48
1 On 06/20/2013 01:19 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 20/06/13 05:03, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
4 >> wrote:
5 >>> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:18:49 +0200
6 >>> hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> [...]
8 >>>> Who controls devrel?
9 >>>> Simple answer: no one.
10 >>>
11 >>> And this is good IMHO. Judiciary should be an independent power.
12 >>
13 >> The council is elected. No sane organization (democratic or corporate
14 >> or whatever) just has a self-appointing judiciary. I'm not convinced
15 >> we even need an independent judiciary, but nations that have
16 >> independent judiciaries still have elected representatives appoint
17 >> them. They also often have a means for elected officials to overturn
18 >> their decisions (at least in the direction of pardons). Lifetime
19 >> appointments
20 >> make sense when you're talking about basic laws and civil rights which
21 >> change on a timespan of centuries, but not when you're talking about a
22 >> computer operating system distribution that changes on a scale of
23 >> months.
24 >>
25 >> Corporations have elected boards appoint executives who appoint the
26 >> members of HR/Security. Democracies elect representatives who appoint
27 >> members of the judiciary.
28 >>
29 >> My feeling is that QA and Devrel should be council appointed. They
30 >> can of course recommend their own members, and Council can give
31 >> whatever deference they feel is appropriate to the recommendation.
32 >>
33 >> If you wouldn't trust somebody to appoint QA/Devrel members, then you
34 >> shouldn't be electing them to the Council. Likewise, if you wouldn't
35 >> trust somebody to not just seize control of the entire distribution
36 >> (infra, DNS, bank accounts, the Gentoo name, firing the Council, etc)
37 >> you shouldn't be electing them to the Trustees (a few years ago our
38 >> sole remaining Trustee was contemplating basically just turning the
39 >> entire distro over to a benevolent dictator (our founder), who legally
40 >> wouldn't be accountable to anybody including the Council (or even the
41 >> devs in general depending on whether the bylaws were modified)).
42 >> These are real governing bodies that essentially have all the powers
43 >> you don't want to give to anybody (well, save unelected QA/Devrel team
44 >> members) whether you like it or not (at least within the boundaries of
45 >> the Foundation charter/bylaws).
46 >>
47 >> I agree with hasufell's recommendation, although I would extend it to
48 >> QA as well. QA and Devrel are "special" projects and should probably
49 >> be accountable to the Council. I think they should be largely
50 >> self-governing much as infra is (even though infra is fairly dependent
51 >> on the trustees for funding/etc). It isn't about control so much as
52 >> accountability and mandate. I'd of course recommend that the Council
53 >> should be hands-off as long as things are going well, and there really
54 >> isn't anything that suggests they wouldn't be (certainly this has been
55 >> the trend with both the Council and Trustees).
56 >>
57 >> Part of me is thinking that we should just write up this proposal as a
58 >> GLEP and go from there. By all means devs should register their
59 >> opinions on it as it firms up, and we can leave it to the new Council
60 >> to decide how to handle it.
61 >
62 > I agree (to every point)
63 >
64 > The way devrel can be seen now when enforcing a decision without the
65 > council authorization gives automatic impression of an group of
66 > individuals trying to blackmail you, instead of the impression of
67 > distribution trying to push you into correct direction.
68 > Like, for example, if devrel had been council elected back when we had
69 > the ChangeLog debacle, we wouldn't have had a ChangeLog debacle.
70 >
71 > - Samuli
72 >
73 Ditto. I was going to respond in more detail, but there's nothing
74 really to add here. Especially an independent judiciary. It makes me
75 thing police state with no accountability for those who enforce the
76 rules. Imagine if the very people you think are disruptive to the
77 community get power on devrel. I also strongly agree with QA being
78 appointed by the council.
81 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
82 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
83 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
84 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
85 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA