From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:34:49
On 07/18/2010 06:03 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> On 18-07-2010 20:26, Petteri R├Ąty wrote: >> I propose we add a statement to our list FAQ to ban cross posting the >> reason being that it leads to fragmentation of the thread when some >> people reply on one list and some on the other (and they aren't required >> to be subscribed to both).
++
> > I can live with the cross-posting, in particular if it makes easier to > find an old thread - if the council meeting threads were sent to both > gentoo-council and gentoo-dev, it would certainly be easier to find it > on gentoo-council archives than gentoo-dev's.
Why not just post it on gentoo-council? Anybody interested in the discussion could participate there. The first message in the thread could of course be posted to -dev-announce with follow-ups to the proper list. I've been reading this discussion now in three different lists, illustrating the fragmentation problem. For those who suggest a better mail reader - I'm all ears. My requirements apparently are: 1. GUI - one that works with a mouse. 2. Basic editing functionality (spell check, re-wrapping, etc), with all functions accessible via the GUI. 3. Handles threads split across two different lists with not all replies being cross-posted to all lists, turning them into a cohesive discussion. 4. Otherwise, doesn't mix up stuff from multiple lists. 5. Does all of this in spite of the fact that procmail is set to mercilessly destroy anything with a duplicate message ID before the mail client even sees it. Alternatively, mail client must handle when I get the same email 5 times via 5 different email addresses that were all CC'ed so that procmail doesn't have to take care of it. Of course, not cross-posting like mad lets me cross off #3 and #5, meaning that just about anything out there works. I'm not aware of a mail reader that meets these requirements... Frankly I'd be happy to just follow the discussion on gmane except that even most news readers can't handle this sort of mess. If devs want to follow what the council is doing, they should subscribe to -council. If devs want to have input on big policy changes that aren't strictly coding related they can follow -project. Of course, no matter what lists they follow the important stuff can go on -dev-announce first. Just my two cents... Obviously I've been putting up with this sort of thing for years, so this is hardly going to be the thing that drives me over the edge... :) Rich