From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:31:54
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/05/2011 08:22 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Markos Chandras
6 > <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
7 >> Right, exactly what I am saying. A single developer has to put his
8 >> effort to push things forward. Last time I remember something
9 >> similar was when Ben (yngwin) tried to introduce changes and he was
10 >> "forced" to retirement. Awesome. You know very well that if a
11 >> single person tries on his own to change things, he will lose
12 >> motivation sooner or later.
13 >
14 > So, here's the thing. If a huge number of devs are against an idea,
15 > then it is probably best NOT to approve it unless it is just a
16 > matter of bikeshedding.
17
18 You probably do not remember the case. A lot of people were supporting
19 his ideas. That was not the problem.
22 > What is the alternative? One guy wants to make a huge change to
23 > Gentoo. Most don't agree. Democratically elected council is thus
24 > unlikely to back it. Instead suppose we have a dictator for the
25 > year or whatever and he happens to support it, so he issues an edict
26 > that the one guy is the prophet for this year.
29 I am talking about situation that everybody agrees yet there is nobody
30 to step up and move it forward.
31
32 > Let's look at the whole /usr thread. It started out with lots of
33 > shock and general opposition with one or two guys pushing for a
34 > change. They than brought forward arguments and I'd judge from
35 > recent comments that they won over a good chunk of the dev population
36 > - now we're just haggling about the how and not arguing so much over
37 > to-FHS or not to-FHS. By the time the council is asked to do
38 > anything (if they even need to get involved) there will probably be a
39 > clear majority consensus. That's how you drive change.
40 >
41 I am very interested to see if a solution will ever come up from that
42 thread.
43
44 /me shuts up and goes back to his corner
45
46 - --
47 Regards,
48 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2