From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Seemant Kulleen <seemantk@×××××.com>, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 00:24:47
1 On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 19:20:21 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I have had various ideas for Gentoo spanning back to my time as a
5 > Trustee. I was working hard them to make them happen and was making
6 > great progress in short time. Sadly people got in the way. I have ZERO
7 > interest in partaking in this directly myself. I maybe a lowly grunt.
8 >
9 > These are my ideas alone. I have not discussed them with anyone other
10 > than briefly in IRC #gentoo-java. No one helped me come up with this.
11 > I have no agenda, or role for myself. None of this involves me. I am
12 > just going to toss this idea and run. No further comments from me.
13 >
14 > In my opinion what needs to happen for Gentoo is it needs proper
15 > organization and long term leadership, period.
16 >
17 > Thus I propose the following.
18 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 > - Bring back Daniel Robbins he becomes Benevolent Dictator For Life,
20 > which he gave up when creating the foundation long ago. A new
21 > position part of the new structure. I have spoken with Daniel
22 > briefly publicly in #gentoo-java a few days ago. He is on board, no
23 > longer bitter and free of other duties.
24 >
25 > - Council remains as is, and works with Daniel directly, each being
26 > basically equal. Nothing changes with council, election, etc. Just
27 > slight change in role. Permanent member in a sense, Daniel. But he
28 > cannot vote with council. Just shares in technical guidance,
29 > attends meetings, etc.
30 >
31 > - Foundation remains as is and also works with Daniel. Daniel serves
32 > as like President of the foundation, with other officer positions
33 > being filled per Daniel and Trustees appointment. Foundation spends
34 > money on officer operations and other things to further Gentoo
35 > development and community.
36 >
37 > - Trustees remain as advisers and stewards but are not responsible for
38 > day to day. They are to guide and provide wisdom etc. One new
39 > Trustee will be added for a life long term, as long as they see fit.
40 > Seemant Kulleen. He played an integral role in the early years of
41 > Gentoo. He has no idea I am proposing this, so I am throwing him
42 > under the bus.
43 >
44 > - Being 3 parts any two can overrule the 3rd. All work together with
45 > Daniel serving as the head of both. With all three being directly
46 > connected with Daniel facilitating such. No 2 cannot remove
47 > Daniel, just overrule. If always overruled obviously would resign
48 > but that is not the idea.
49 >
50 > - Funtoo becomes the Fedora of Gentoo. Experimental test ground where
51 > radical new ideas are tested and then moved over to Gentoo. All
52 > Gentoo devs immediate become Funtoo devs as well. Though not
53 > required to do anything. No bothering with opt out etc. Just
54 > connecting the two organizations and communities. Unite vs divide!!!!
55 > (This may even go so far as to say Funtoo is unstable and Gentoo
56 > become stable dropping the entire stable/unstable Gentoo concept.)
58
59 Sorry, also relating to Funtoo. New Developers and/or contributors
60 maybe could start out as Funtoo devs and graduate to Gentoo. That may
61 also help with making them of "Gentoo" quality while not discarding
62 willing hands that may lack experience and/or skills. Funtoo becomes
63 Gentoo's grooming grounds for people and technology.
66 William L. Thomson Jr.