From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: apply to join toolchain herd
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 05:13:19
1 On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:19:30 +0200
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 30-09-2013 00:34:51 -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
5 > > I really like this idea. If he could drop a new rev of the toolchain
6 > > eclass into the tree, and make little p.masked updates to use it, then
7 > > that would serve many purposes.
8 >
9 > Honestly, please use an overlay instead. Mike's concern is not to be
10 > ignored (I've seen the bugs), and I'm affraid I have to agree that
11 > gaining skills (which takes time) and being careful is more important
12 > than just moving forward here.
13
14 If I'm nervous enough about a change that I would put it in a new eclass, it's
15 because I need more test coverage. I won't get any in the toolchain overlay
16 as I'm pretty sure I can count the number of people using it on one hand. What
17 I'm probably going to do is add a toolchain-next eclass to the tree and have
18 masked versions use it, moving changes into the real eclass when they get
19 unmasked.
20
21 But back on topic, Benda I'd be happy to review patches or help you out in the
22 areas I cover. For now I think it would be best to keep doing what you're
23 doing and we'll see how it goes. We definitely need more help.
27 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
28 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
29
30 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463