From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for candidates for Gentoo Council 2013/2014
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 06:57:10
1 >>>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
2
3 > All candidates for Gentoo Council 2013/2014 are asked to answer the
4 > following technical questions, since Gentoo Council 2013/2014 will
5 > vote on at least some of relevant propositions.
6
7 I'm going to answer the more general questions.
8
9 > 01. What interval (in months) between introductions of new EAPIs do
10 > you prefer?
11
12 About one EAPI per year, on average.
13
14 > 02. Will you vote for moving system packages (gcc, glibc etc.) to EAPI >=3?
15 > 03. Will you vote for moving system packages (gcc, glibc etc.) to EAPI >=4?
16 > 04. Will you vote for moving system packages (gcc, glibc etc.) to EAPI >=5?
17
18 They should be moved away from EAPI 0 at some point, but this needs to
19 be coordinated with their maintainers.
20
21 > 05. Will you vote for deprecation of EAPI 0 in gentoo-x86?
22
23 See previous answer.
24
25 > 06. Will you vote for deprecation of EAPI 3 in gentoo-x86?
26
27 Yes, after EAPI 6 has be accepted. We shouldn't have more than three
28 or four EAPIs in active use.
29
30 > 07. Will you vote for deprecation of EAPI 4 in gentoo-x86?
31
32 See previous answer. (So, "no" for the upcoming council term.)
33
34 Concerning your detailed (and sometimes very technical) questions 08
35 to 32 about EAPI 6, we already have a preliminary list of tentative
36 features [1], including some from your list that were rejected for
37 EAPI 5. This doesn't exclude that we add additional features to it,
38 but it shouldn't be too many if we want to finalise EAPI 6 this year
39 still. I'll make up my mind about the individual features when
40 concrete proposals are on the table.
41
42 Ulrich
43