From: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Cc: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:42:58
1 Den 2012-05-14 20:12:51 skrev Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>:
2
3 > On 13/05/12 21:57, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
4 >> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> Why not emulate php/ruby and set a default value in the base profile?
7 >>> See profiles/base/make.defaults.
8 >>>
9 >>> I think PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" would be a reasonable
10 >>> choice.
11 >>
12 >> Yeah, I think we should provide a default value, and this default
13 >> value looks good to me.
14 >
15 > Feel free to do so :) I would disagree with adding py3 to default, but
16 > it's only me.
17 It would be pretty strange if we had had Py3k as default Python (i.e. in
18 stage3) and PYTHON_TARGETS for another version altogether.
19
20 And how would new eclass behave in such case? Just-out-of-stage3 system
21 would have only Python 3.2 installed, but PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7
22 python3_2". Let's say user tries to:
23 # emerge -av pygments
24 Of course, assuming dev-python/pygments had been ported to new eclass.
25 Would python-distutils-ng handle this correctly and transparently? Without
26 obscure errors like "You wants Python 2.7 but haz no Python 2.7"? Without
27 pulling dev-lang/python:2.7 in? If not, I call this serious usability
28 regression.