From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Deprecating Jython 2.5
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 09:38:30
1 Hello,
2
3 We have already basically deprecated Jython2.5 as something not really
4 worth maintaining unless some people actually use and request
5 supporting it. Therefore, all python-r1 ebuilds no longer are keyworded
6 for jython2.5.
7
8 Sadly, this means that python.eclass packages depending on python-r1
9 fail because of missing dependencies when users enable jython. Even
10 worse, if someone enables jython2_5 in PYTHON_TARGETS, the eclass
11 suggests enabling it in USE_PYTHON as well, effectively causing user to
12 enable the breakage.
13
14 I think we could:
15
16 1) disable reporting jython for USE_PYTHON<->PYTHON_TARGETS check,
17
18 2) disable jython2.5 completely in python.eclass and mask the
19 python_targets_jython2_5 flag.
20
21 but in case of 2) we should first make sure that no direct jython deps
22 are broken. As in, the java packages which actually use jython have all
23 necessary modules supported.
24
25 What are your thoughts?
28 Best regards,