From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Adding new packages
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:48:00
1 I was wondering: what do you all think about putting new python
2 packages in the tree?
3
4 The idea here is IMO we shouldn't add more packages to the tree than
5 we can manage. We have a pretty big open bug list and enough version
6 bumps to go around as it is. If we move packages into the tree just
7 because a single user asked for it, I worry it might not be a good
8 trade-off: we're more or less committed to maintaining it forever, and
9 we do this at the cost of maintenance for other packages.
10
11 Maybe the answer is I just shouldn't worry so much, or maybe we should
12 try have some informal criteria for when we allow a package to go into
13 the tree? For instance, if one of the python devs is using a package
14 himself, I have no qualm about letting him add it to the tree, since
15 he'll probably also be able to do some maintenance. If there are 10
16 guys asking for it in Bugzilla, we should also include it. If we have
17 something in the tree already that starts depending on it, that also
18 probably is good enough (although this may not be always true, for
19 optional dependencies). But for the other cases, should we be
20 conservative about adding packages or just add away whenever we feel
21 like it?
22
23 Cheers,
24