From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:17:36
1 Hi all,
2 I'd like to bring a discussion that was started over irc for broader
3 audience. Namely:
4 1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage?
5 2) how many version should we actively maintained?
6
7 What came up:
8 * python2.5 is no longer supported upstream since May 2011 and is first
9 candidate for purging
10 * python3.2 supersedes python3.1 without introducing any obvious
11 incompatibilities (at least that's what they claim here[1])
12
13 What's worth noting is that upstream itself will provide/provides new
14 release cycle, introducing LTS version of python[2]. First proposal by
15 neurogeek, is that following pep0407 we should obsolete versions of
16 python 6 months after upstream ceases to support them. (+1 from me on that)
17
18 Cheers
19 Kacper
20