From: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Cc: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 13:02:20
1 > So I think the second part of this (x.y to x.y+1 transitions, in the
2 > Python world, are generally relatively smooth) invalidates your point
3 > in the first part: if the transitions are generally smooth, then yes,
4 > when Python 3.3 gets stabilized, I want all of my Python packages to
5 > be available from the 3.3 interpreter.
6 Let's take a "stable" user who updates (`emerge --update --deep --newuse
7 @world`) his/her system regularly.
8 Python 3.3 is released, added to Portage tree and eventually unmasked.
9 PYTHON_TARGETS variable is changed to include 3.3. And suddenly `emerge
10 --newuse @world` on stable system suggests rebuilding of every package
11 using new eclass, because new (though disabled) USE-flags was added. And
12 when Python 3.3 is keyworded stable, hence bringing new default
13 PYTHON_TARGETS, user should now rebuild those packages once more, but now,
14 at least, not uselessly.
15
16 Just yesterday I had www-servers/uwsgi recompiled because of changed
17 RUBY_TARGETS. And I even have no Ruby installed.
18
19 > So, I'd prefer it if, instead of speaking up about general concerns
20 > that the new eclass isn't ready or has serious problems, people please
21 > file one bug each about each serious problem they have run into,
22 > found, or are concerned about, CC the python team, and we'll try to
23 > take a look.
24 I had written about problems with new eclass a couple of weeks ago here.
25 Not that anybody cares that now any user not caring about dev-lang/python
26 explicitly would get Python 2.7 and all his modules compiled twice for no
27 good reason (except "we can't think out more sensible default for new
28 eclass"). Whether or not does he *really* need Python 2.x or stable and
29 included-in-stage3 Python 3.2 suffices for him.