From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:13:53
1 On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:17, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o> wrote:
2 > 1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage?
3 > 2) how many version should we actively maintained?
4
5 I'm not sure we need hard rules here. IMO the current approach (i.e.
6 just talking about it and dropping as we decide it makes sense) is
7 just fine. In particular, some version bumps are just harder than
8 others, and adoption of new versions is always different (i.e. for 3.x
9 and 2.x versions is obviously a very different story right now). From
10 the other side (for example, in Mercurial depends), it also depends
11 how big of a boon new features are.
12
13 So let's just decide on a case-by-case when we deprecate a version? As
14 for 2.5, are we seeing increased incompatibility yet? Any recent
15 examples? I think 2.5 is close to deprecation, but I'm personally not
16 getting the impression it's getting to be a big PITA just yet.
17
18 Cheers,
19
20 Dirkjan