From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:13:53
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:17, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o> wrote:
> 1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage? > 2) how many version should we actively maintained?
I'm not sure we need hard rules here. IMO the current approach (i.e. just talking about it and dropping as we decide it makes sense) is just fine. In particular, some version bumps are just harder than others, and adoption of new versions is always different (i.e. for 3.x and 2.x versions is obviously a very different story right now). From the other side (for example, in Mercurial depends), it also depends how big of a boon new features are. So let's just decide on a case-by-case when we deprecate a version? As for 2.5, are we seeing increased incompatibility yet? Any recent examples? I think 2.5 is close to deprecation, but I'm personally not getting the impression it's getting to be a big PITA just yet. Cheers, Dirkjan