From: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
To: "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
Cc: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>, gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 13:52:45
Hi guys,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Johan Bergström <bugs@××××××××××.nu> wrote:
> Hey, > > > On Tuesday, 1 May 2012 at 7:01 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote: > >> On 30.04.2012 22:13, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote: >> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:17, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o (mailto:xarthisius@g.o)> wrote: >> > > 1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage? >> > > 2) how many version should we actively maintained? >> > >> > >> > >> > I'm not sure we need hard rules here. IMO the current approach (i.e. >> > just talking about it and dropping as we decide it makes sense) is >> > just fine. In particular, some version bumps are just harder than >> > others, and adoption of new versions is always different (i.e. for 3.x >> > and 2.x versions is obviously a very different story right now). From >> > the other side (for example, in Mercurial depends), it also depends >> > how big of a boon new features are. >> > >> > So let's just decide on a case-by-case when we deprecate a version? As >> > for 2.5, are we seeing increased incompatibility yet? Any recent >> > examples? I think 2.5 is close to deprecation, but I'm personally not >> > getting the impression it's getting to be a big PITA just yet.
I wasn't trying to impose hard rules either, just to have rules that would give us a notion on when to start considering punting an older version. I'm not really sure about this, but I think fixes aren't being backported to Python2.5 anymore on upstream, and Python2.6 is now the LTS version. If thats the case, the burden on fixing important bugs in unsupported versions will fall on us. Also, Python2.4 differs from Python2.5 way more than Python2.5 differs from Python2.6, and Python2.6 is pretty stable nowadays. So, I don't think we will have a problem in that front if we decide to drop 2.5. So, no hard rules, but a general "agreement" to start discussing Pros and Cons after certain "events". BTW, Twisted is dropping support for Python2.5 after their 12.1 release, which will be soon. Cheers,
-- Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) Gentoo Developer