From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-python] New eclass: obsoleting old python versions
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:17:12
So, I was pinged in #gentoo-dev because dev-python/python-gflags fails now:

dev-python/python-gflags-2.0: nonsolvable depset(depends)
keyword(~x86) profile (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop): solutions: [
dev-python/pypy:1.7 ]

So, does the new eclass require enumeration of all supported python
versions? If so, that's clearly broken. We really need to minimize the
friction, such that we can add or remove versions with minimal added
pain.

Additionally, the new eclass seems to think of pypy1_7, pypy1_8 as
different. We should probably have something that says, "this ebuild
supports python-2.7-equivalent pypy".

Proposal:

- Add python2_7_pypy atom for PYTHON_COMPAT, expands to a list of pypy
versions which is fixed in the eclass.
- python2_5 should by default expand to include python2_6 and
python2_7 (but not 3_*), according to a list of python versions which
is fixed in the eclass.
- PYTHON_COMPAT grows support for prefixing atoms with - to indicate
missing support: python2_5 -python2_6 indicates support for 2.5 and
2.7.

Does that cover the common bases? It doesn't seem too complex.

Cheers,

Dirkjan