From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:00:39
1 On 14/05/12 19:42, Nikolaj Sjujskij wrote:
2 > Den 2012-05-14 20:12:51 skrev Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>:
3 >
4 >> On 13/05/12 21:57, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> Why not emulate php/ruby and set a default value in the base profile?
7 >>>> See profiles/base/make.defaults.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I think PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" would be a reasonable choice.
10 >>>
11 >>> Yeah, I think we should provide a default value, and this default
12 >>> value looks good to me.
13 >>
14 >> Feel free to do so :) I would disagree with adding py3 to default, but it's
15 >> only me.
16 > It would be pretty strange if we had had Py3k as default Python (i.e. in
17 > stage3) and PYTHON_TARGETS for another version altogether.
18
19 I don't have Py3 installed at all on all my machines.
20
21 > And how would new eclass behave in such case? Just-out-of-stage3 system would
22 > have only Python 3.2 installed, but PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2". Let's
23 > say user tries to:
24 > # emerge -av pygments
25 > Of course, assuming dev-python/pygments had been ported to new eclass. Would
26 > python-distutils-ng handle this correctly and transparently? Without obscure
27 > errors like "You wants Python 2.7 but haz no Python 2.7"? Without pulling
28 > dev-lang/python:2.7 in? If not, I call this serious usability regression.
29
30 It seems you have no clue how this eclass works. If you have only py3 installed,
31 and you set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" then dev-lang/python:2.7 will be added to
32 DEPEND and installed.
33
34 The user asked to install for py2:7 so he will get this done. It's not a
35 usability regression - it's expected behaviour: user wants to build for FOO:X.Y
36 then the eclass adds FOO:X.Y to DEPEND.
37
38 I fail to see how would you like to "correctly and transparently" (whatever it
39 means to you) do it. If you don't accept as a solution an error message or
40 pulling in py2:7 then there's no other way - you either install missing
41 dependencies or die with an error, no third way.
44 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
45 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...