From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] On Python 2.5
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 06:14:02
1 On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > 2012/2/20 Johan Bergström <bugs@××××××××××.nu>:
3 >> Good day all,
4 >> with Python 2.4 being removed and all (anyone seen complaints about this, btw?),
5 >> I'd like to discuss the removal of Python 2.5.
6 >>
7 >> Although 2.5 was one of those versions that started to be useful, I really see no
8 >> reason to just keep it around "just because".
9 >>
10 >> Did a quick glance in the tree and couldn't find a package that only depended
11 >> on python:2.5 specifically. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
12 >>
13 >> The question is therefore: why keep python 2.5 in tree?
14 >>
15 >> Regards,
16 >> --
17 >> Johan Bergström
21 > We might be making the upgrade path for ancient systems more
22 > difficult. python-2.5 has EAPI=1 whereas python-2.6 has EAPI=2. I
23 > don't feel this is a show stopper.
26 It needs to stay at least until the baselayout 1 to 2 upgrade path is
27 still supported. I think that ends in June. I kinda like 2.5, its mmap
28 bits are better than newer versions, perhaps due to heavy patching.
29 sles and rhel5 still support it, maybe there are nice patches in those
30 repos.
31
32 </$0.02>
33 --