From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] [RFC] Creating Python project overlay
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:56:13
1 On 05/16/2012 02:29 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I'd like to propose that we create and maintain overlay for Python
4 >> project. As I envision it, it would mostly oriented towards the users
5 >> (read new developers). We could encourage people to push new version
6 >> bumps there, keep packages not-yet-ready for tree (alphas,betas,rc) etc.
7 >
8 > Can you say something about what/how this would make things better
9 > (either for users/almost-developer holdouts or for us)?
10
11 Also forgot to mentioned that, overlay is the only place where you can
12 learn the Gentoo workflow, _before_ becoming an actual dev.
13 In overlay you can do things like, repoman commit, manifest signing,
14 package{.use} masking etc. That's IMO invaluable experience for would-be
15 dev. It's one thing writing about it in quizzes and another actually
16 doing it.
17
18 Kacper