From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 18:28:21
1 On 26/05/12 15:09, Nikolaj Sjujskij wrote:
2 > Den 2012-05-26 17:07:29 skrev Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>:
3 >
4 >> On Sat, 26 May 2012 17:01:26 +0400
5 >> "Nikolaj Sjujskij" <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> > So I think the second part of this (x.y to x.y+1 transitions, in the
8 >>> > Python world, are generally relatively smooth) invalidates your
9 >>> > point in the first part: if the transitions are generally smooth,
10 >>> > then yes, when Python 3.3 gets stabilized, I want all of my Python
11 >>> > packages to be available from the 3.3 interpreter.
12 >>> Let's take a "stable" user who updates (`emerge --update --deep
13 >>> --newuse @world`) his/her system regularly.
14 >>> Python 3.3 is released, added to Portage tree and eventually unmasked.
15 >>> PYTHON_TARGETS variable is changed to include 3.3. And suddenly
16 >>> `emerge --newuse @world` on stable system suggests rebuilding of
17 >>> every package using new eclass, because new (though disabled)
18 >>> USE-flags was added. And when Python 3.3 is keyworded stable, hence
19 >>> bringing new default PYTHON_TARGETS, user should now rebuild those
20 >>> packages once more, but now, at least, not uselessly.
21 >>>
22 >>> Just yesterday I had www-servers/uwsgi recompiled because of changed
23 >>> RUBY_TARGETS. And I even have no Ruby installed.
24 >>
25 >> I suggest you report a bug against portage and/or PMS.
26 > Excuse me, but I really fail to see how this could be their fault.
27
28 Yes, you do. Let me explain: there was a thread some time ago about portage
29 rebuilding package when new USE flag is introduced in ebuild that does not
30 change enabled USE set, that's how it's related.
33 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
34 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...