Gentoo Logo
Gentoo Spaceship




Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date. GMANE provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.
c.f. bug 424647
List Archive: gentoo-python
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-python: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Headers:
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@g.o>
From: "Nikolaj Sjujskij" <sterkrig@...>
Subject: Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 17:01:26 +0400
> So I think the second part of this (x.y to x.y+1 transitions, in the
> Python world, are generally relatively smooth) invalidates your point
> in the first part: if the transitions are generally smooth, then yes,
> when Python 3.3 gets stabilized, I want all of my Python packages to
> be available from the 3.3 interpreter.
  Let's take a "stable" user who updates (`emerge --update --deep --newuse  
@world`) his/her system regularly.
Python 3.3 is released, added to Portage tree and eventually unmasked.
PYTHON_TARGETS variable is changed to include 3.3. And suddenly `emerge  
--newuse @world` on stable system suggests rebuilding of every package  
using new eclass, because new (though disabled) USE-flags was added. And  
when Python 3.3 is keyworded stable, hence bringing new default  
PYTHON_TARGETS, user should now rebuild those packages once more, but now,  
at least, not uselessly.

Just yesterday I had www-servers/uwsgi recompiled because of changed  
RUBY_TARGETS. And I even have no Ruby installed.

> So, I'd prefer it if, instead of speaking up about general concerns
> that the new eclass isn't ready or has serious problems, people please
> file one bug each about each serious problem they have run into,
> found, or are concerned about, CC the python team, and we'll try to
> take a look.
  I had written about problems with new eclass a couple of weeks ago here.  
Not that anybody cares that now any user not caring about dev-lang/python  
explicitly would get Python 2.7 and all his modules compiled twice for no  
good reason (except "we can't think out more sensible default for new  
eclass"). Whether or not does he *really* need Python 2.x or stable and  
included-in-stage3 Python 3.2 suffices for him.


Replies:
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
-- Mike Gilbert
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
-- Michał Górny
References:
python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
-- Maxim Koltsov
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
-- Dirkjan Ochtman
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-python: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Previous by thread:
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Next by thread:
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Previous by date:
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Next by date:
Re: python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass


Updated Jun 01, 2012

Summary: Archive of the gentoo-python mailing list.

Donate to support our development efforts.

Copyright 2001-2013 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Questions, Comments? Contact us.